Appeal Apply Buy Donate File Pay Register Renew Report Volunteer Home Residents Contact Us About Us Businesses Media Room Visitors Help A to Z Departments Small Text Medium Text Large Text

Casey Turner
Administrative Clerk


Frequently Used Forms

Business License
Alcohol License
Zoning Verification

Paul Ruark
Planning and Building

Paul Ruark, Code Enforcement Officer
Stoney Harness, Building Official (webpage)


Planning and Building's mission is to coordinate the County's strategic planning; promote citizen participation to attain the highest quality of life; improve and sustain quality of the natural and built environment that attracts business investments in the county and enforce County codes to promote the health, safety and welfare of citizens of Banks County.           

Business Licenses (Occupational Tax):
Planning and Building issues Business Licenses also known as Occupational Tax to home and commercial based businesses; issues Alcohol Licenses; collects alcohol taxes; collects hotel/motel taxes from businesses; conducts business license inspections; issues citation to business owners for operating without a license and attend court for code violation hearings; coordinates with county agencies especially the Sheriff's Department to insure businesses are being operated legally.
Planning & Building implements the County's Zoning Ordinance; Subdivision Ordinance; Tree Protection Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, and sub area plans that impact the built environment; Process applications for all land-use plan amendments, rezoning, variances, special permits, appeal and other requests that are required under the Zoning Ordinance and issues Zoning Determinations.

When considering where rezoning of the property is needed or desired, one should consider the impact of the proposed zoning on nearby property, the physical suitability of the property for the proposed zoning, the length of time the property has been vacant, as well as the impact on the environment of the property. Additional rezoning considerations can be found in the Rezoning Application Form.

More information can be found in the Citizens Guide to Public Hearings On Zoning Changes
When considering a property for a variance, one must evaluate what the extraordinary or exceptional conditions of the property because of the size, shape or topography that are not applicable to other land or structures in the same district. Another consideration is if a literal interpretation of the zoning provisions would create an unnecessary hardship and deprive the property owner of the rights commonly enjoyed by others in the district. Variances will not be granted to provide additional privileges not enjoyed by others. Additional criteria are outlined in the Variance Application.
Conditional Use Permit:
A CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT (CUP) allows a county to consider special uses which may be essential or desirable to a particular community, but which are not allowed as a matter of right within a zoning district, through a public hearing process. A conditional use permit can provide flexibility within a zoning ordinance. Another traditional purpose of the conditional use permit is to enable a municipality to control certain uses which could have detrimental effects on the community. Additional guidelines are included in the Conditional Use Permit.
Timber Operation Permit:
Timber Operation Permit.
Posting of Designated Street Address:
  • The owner of property or person in charge of any structure shall be notified by the Banks County E-911 of the assigned street number.
  • Within 30 days after receipt of such notification, the owner or person in charge of the structure to which a street number has been assigned shall affix the number in a conspicuous place.
  • The number shall be easy to see both in daylight and at night from the road.
  • It shall be the duty of such owner, occupant or person in charge of a house or building to affix the new number and to remove any different number which might be mistaken for, or confused with the street number assigned to the structure by the Banks County E-911.
  • It shall be the duty of each owner, occupant, or person in charge of every structure to which a street number has been assigned to display such number in figures at least three inches high with reflective numbers.
  • The number must be posted on both sides of the mail receptacle or on a sign at the road if there is no mailbox and also at the entrance to the residence if the residence is not where the mail receptacle or sign is located. If there is more than one residence or structure addressed on one drive, the number must also be affixed to the structure itself.
  • Each owner, occupant, or person in charge of the structure is responsible for purchasing the material for the street number.
  • All numbers must conform to standards that allow for prompt and accurate emergency response.
  • Penalties
    • In the event the owner, occupant, or person in charge of any structure to which a street number has been assigned refuses to comply with the provisions of this article by failing to display the assigned street number within 30 days after notification, he or she shall be fined $25.00 for each day after notice for so long as such failure to comply continues.
    • The county Marshall will issue citations for violations of sections 62-61 through 61-63, will enforce the penalty, and will work with the Banks County E-911 on insuring that county residents who do not reside within a municipality abide by article III, chapter 62 of the Code.

Standards For Subdivisions:
Follow this link for the standards for subdivisions and standards for critical facilities. Click here for additional guidelines are in place for minor subdivision.
Comprehensive Plan:
A Comprehensive Plan establishes a clear vision of the kind of place a community wants to be in the future, and provides a course of action to create this shared vision. The plans, created by community residents, property owners and business owners with the assistance of the staff of the County and each municipality, serve as a policy guide on how the County and each community is to develop over time. They provide a strategy for dealing with the County’s future growth and development. The Plans are submitted to the state for review in two phases or parts as follows:
  • PART 1: These documents were prepared by the consulting team following a thorough analysis of the existing conditions and development patterns in Banks County:
    • Community Assessment - An analysis of the existing conditions, current information, and trends presented as an executive summary
    • Analysis of Supporting Data - Includes background information that supports the conclusions presented in the Community Assessment
    • Community Participation Program - A strategy for involving the citizens in the process
  • PART 2: This document was prepared by the consulting team with the assistance of staff with guidance from the county/cities' staff, elected officials, the Steering Committee, and those who participated in the citizen participation planning activities.
    • Community Agenda - The policies, strategies, and specific action items that will implement the Plan and bring about the vision of Banks County.
On October 28, 2008, the Banks County Board of Commissioners adopted the Banks County Comprehensive Plan 2008-2018. The plan as adopted can be downloaded here:   
2018 COMPREHENSIVE PLAN:  Banks County and the Cities of Homer and Maysville are updating their Comprehensive Plans to help guide development policies and capital improvement projects.  Your hometown can only achieve its vision if it knows what that vision is, so please take part in this process and tell us your vision for the future of your community!  Please take a few minutes to complete and return the survey at the link below.  All comments will be confidential and incorporated into the Comprehensive Plan. 


Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What are the subdivision size guidelines?
A: Per Section 74-244-Minor Subdivisions, .....
Q: Can my fence be built on my property line?
A: A fence may be built on the owner's property line if they wish to.
Q: How far away must a parking lot be from my property line?
A: A parking lot may be built on the owner's property line....
Q: How far must a driveway be from the property line?
A: A driveway may be on the property line of the owner's property....
Q: Do I need to renew a business license?
A: Yes, business licenses must be renewed annually.
Q: How old do my employees need to be to sell alcohol?
A: The required age is 18 to dispense, sell and take orders for alcoholic beverages.
Q: What days and times can I sell alcohol
A: Alcohol cannot be sold on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and Sundays. Alcohol may be sold on Election day. Alcohol may be sold Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 1am and Saturdays 8:00 am to 12:00am.
Q: How old do I need to be to get an alcohol license?
A: All applicants must be at least 21 years old.
Q: Does the building that I'm selling alcohol in have to be a certain size?
A: The building must measure up to 2,000 square feet along the exterior walls.
Q: Does a business selling alcohol have any rules on location?
A: Any business selling alcohol must be 600 feet away from any church, school or college.
Q: Can I still turn in my alcohol license application if it is past the due date?
A: If an alcohol license application is turned in late, then a penalty of 10% will be charged from the fees due.

Employee Information Legal Notice Privacy Notice
Home Residents Businesses Visitors Help A to Z Contact Us About Us Media Room Calendar of Events Ask the Chairman SPLOST Dollars at Work Subscribe for Alerts 365 Degree Total Marketing Links BANKS Chamber NACO GGFOA ACCG