Appeal Apply Buy Donate File Pay Register Renew Report Volunteer Home Residents Contact Us About Us Businesses Media Room Visitors Help A to Z Departments Small Text Medium Text Large Text

Building Inspections
150 Hudson Ridge
Suite 4
Homer, Georgia 30547

(706) 677-4272

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm

Hard copy Code Books
may be purchased from
Intl Code Council
900 Montclair Road
Birmingham, AL
(205) 591-1853

Casey Turner
Administrative Clerk
Stoney Harness
Building Inspections
Stoney Harness, Building Official

The responsibility of the Banks County Building Department is to provide for the safety of the homeowner and the business owner by ensuring new construction, additions and alterations are building code compliant according to codes mandated by the State of Georgia.

Banks County has adopted and enforces the following Georgia State Minimum Codes for Construction, each code in its latest edition, as adopted and amended by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs:  Standard Building Code, Standard Mechanical Code, Standard Gas Code, Standard Plumbing Code, National Electric Code, Standard Fire Prevention Code, CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code, Georgia State Energy Code, Standard Housing Code, Standard Existing Building Code.

Residential Properties: What is needed?
All residential properties new construction and renovations require a residential building permit, a plumbing permit, an electrical permit and a HVAC permit.    Residential renovations or add-ons also require a residential add-on permit.  Once a permit is issued, the code  requires that certain inspections be made to verify that code requirements have been met during the construction of the permitted building.  A resident inspection checklist is provided to assist with compliance.  Inspections are the same for new construction and renovations or add-ons. Homeowners are allowed to perform their own construction.

Mobile home construction also requires a permit which is the manufactured home permit.  The cost of the permit is based on the width of the manufactured home.  A permit is also required for relocating a mobile home.       Criteria for moving a pre-owned home.
  Commercial Properties: What is needed?
Commercial construction requires a commercial permit.  A list of requirements to be completed throughout the construction of the commercial property is available at the Planning & Development Office.
 Farm and Accessory Buildings: What is needed?
All accessory buildings greater than 350 square feet to be located, erected or moved must be permitted and inspected.  Farm or agriculture buildings require an agricultural building permit.
 Occupancy: Before Moving-In Guidelines
No new building may be occupied before the building official issues a Certificate of Occupancy, which verifies that required inspections have been made and that corrections have been performed as required to meet code.   Existing buildings not occupied at the time a permit is issued may have to be certified for occupancy.  A certificate of occupancy can not be issued until 911 address numbers have been posted in a location clearly visible from the public roadway in at least 3 inch reflective numbers.
 Property Setbacks: Guidelines
Residential structures need to be 30 feet from all property lines.  Commercial buildings must be 10 feet from the property lines.   Signs must be 2 feet away from the right of way and an approved sign permit.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I relocate a mobile home?
A: Yes, the building inspection for the home must be done and a manufactured home moving permit must be obtained.  Start with obtaining the mobile home relocation permit.
Q: Do I need a permit to build a swimming pool?
A: Yes, the inspector will also come out to inspect plumbing pressure, electrical bonding, and a final inspection of the pool with fence and locking gate.  This applies to electrical hookup pools only.  Start with your swimming pool permit.
Q: What are the Cell Tower permit fees?
A: For tower construction, the fee is $3,000. Permit required for additional equipment, the fee is $1,000.
Q: How should I post my address?
A: Banks County E-911 will notify the property owner of the assigned street number.  To allow for prompt and accurate emergency response, the owner must affix the number in a conspicuous place that can be easily seen in daylight and at night from the road within 30 days.     Numbers should be at least 3 inches high in reflective material.   The number must be posted on both sides of the mailbox or on a sign at the road if there is no mailbox.   Failure to post can result in a $25/day fine.   Code Regulations Section 62-63, 62-64
Q: What do I need to know about flood plain regulations?
A: Check the Code Regulations Section 42-94, 95, 96, 97.
More FAQ 
Click here for more frequently asked questions.

Employee Information Legal Notice Privacy Notice
Home Residents Businesses Visitors Help A to Z Contact Us About Us Media Room Calendar of Events Ask the Chairman SPLOST Dollars at Work Subscribe for Alerts 365 Degree Total Marketing Links BANKS Chamber NACO GGFOA ACCG